SAFspace

Welcome to the thoughts, rants and passions of a young Muslim woman seeking soulful enlightenment in cyberspace.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Internet-free for a day?


January 30 was Internet Free Day according to an organization called Global Ideas Bank. I
didn’t hear about it in time, or I might have tried to go Internet-free for a day. You see, I’ll tell you a little secret.

I think I’ve got some sort of Internet addiction.

My symptoms? I’ll sheepishly admit to checking my email more times a day than I go to the bathroom. It’s the first thing I look at in the morning, and often the last at night – if 2 a.m. counts as night. I have conversations with family members via msn messenger when they’re just a room away. And my friends – oh, my friends – I see some of them online more than I do in real life. I realized something was wrong when I lugged my laptop to a lunch date with a close friend on Friday. Perhaps, I thought, just perhaps, I might need to check my email!

And this blog - I can’t forget this blog. I started it a week ago as an experiment of sorts. Now I can’t stop writing.

So there. That is my confession. Last I heard, Internet Anonymous
is developing a Net Patch that will give me the “net buzz” I need to wean me off my reliance on the Internet. I’m first in line. If you’re reading this, step right up behind me.

2 Comments:

  • At 2/01/2005 05:45:00 AM, Blogger Lyvvie said…

    Internet Anonymous would only work if it was not an online meeting. But to MSN someone in the next room...admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. I'm enjoying your blog, so please don't join I.A. anytime soon.

     
  • At 2/02/2005 08:51:00 PM, Blogger Safiyyah said…

    Yeah, I got a kick out of someone offering cybercounselling to people to help them deal with their Internet addiction!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lyvvie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home