SAFspace

Welcome to the thoughts, rants and passions of a young Muslim woman seeking soulful enlightenment in cyberspace.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Curry Pot – the Hottest Scent to hit T.O


The other day a nice fellow with a broad smile and slick hair tried to sell me Curry Pot. I’m told it’s the hottest new scent to hit T.O. I’m told I can savour the delicious aroma of an exotic meal…even allure that special someone with tantalizing hints of freshly cooked food to come. It’s a tempting proposition.

But I’m not convinced. For me, it’s a matter of principle. You see, it’s one thing to eat curry. It’s another altogether to wear it. And there are some people who take wicked pleasure in wearing it.

A girl I knew wore this scent, day in, day out. She’d come to class infused with Curry Pot. And I got the distinct feeling she didn’t realize she was petrifying people with her odious perfume.

Believe me, I‘ve had my share of nightmares. They say some people don’t dream in colour. I tell you, I dreamed in smells. Smells of Curry Pot chasing me out the classroom – even worse, smothering me as my classmates stood by helplessly. And in class, I lived out that nightmare. It was sitting RIGHT BESIDE ME! My blood pressure rose to dangerous heights as I surveyed the room wild-eyed, searching for escape paths. My nostrils burned, but I wasn’t salivating. Somehow I didn’t feel the urge to eat anything remotely like curry.

I would talk myself up on the way to class. You know you’re going to smell it, Safiyyah. Be ready for it when it hits. Alas, the mental preparation was for naught the moment I got within ten feet of the infamous Curry Pot. There’s only so much a soul I can take.

Mind you, it did wake me up. My entire being was sharply focussed on – even in sync with – the scent enveloping me. Who knows what the professor was saying? Right beside me, all around me – that pungent perfume of onions, turmeric and garlic was my main concern.

This is why it is my mission to warn people not to buy Curry Pot. Some things just aren’t meant as perfume. Cook with it, that’s fine. Throw it into your pot for all I care. But cook in your pyjamas, not in the clothes you’ll walk out the door with. And open your window to let the fresh air in. And if you ever feel tempted to apply Curry Pot to any portion of your body, close your eyes and think about walking around smelling like you’ve dunked yourself in a curry pot. Better yet, take a deep, deep breath. Trust me. I inhaled it and lived to tell the tale. Not everyone is that lucky.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/08/2005 05:28:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salams Saf,

    Wow, not that was too funny! -- But everything you said is just oh so true.

    Wassalams.

     
  • At 2/08/2005 05:29:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salams Saf,

    Wow, now that was too funny! -- But everything you said is just oh so true.

    Wassalams.

     
  • At 2/08/2005 10:53:00 p.m., Blogger ephphatha said…

    LOL That is hilarious! So, are you against Curry Pot because you're against smelling like food, or just because it happens to smell bad? How would you feel, for example, if somebody made a perfume that smells like banana nut bread? Hopefully nobody will ever invent that, because it would be just my luck that some awful mean girl will wear it, and I'll find her irresistable.

     
  • At 2/10/2005 09:53:00 a.m., Blogger Lyvvie said…

    Ah, but they do say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...So I suppose it depends on if you wear perfume to make yourself feel good, or to attract some attention from the opposite sex.

    I prefer Vanilla...If I'm going to smell like food, let it be cookies.

     
  • At 2/12/2005 01:16:00 p.m., Blogger Safiyyah said…

    Anonymous:
    Now that you've revealed your identity, I just find your post all the more funny. And you’re still up for kebobs? ;)

    Sam:
    How do you find a way to make the most innocuous comment philosophical? In answer to your question, I have trouble with anything overpowering. So even banana nut has the potential to smother. But in general, I think desserts are better smelling than main dishes like curry and lasagne. The curry issue is more problematic though because it smells awful. Some foods have the potential to smell stronger, even worse, than others do because the ingredients are more pungent. Something with onions and garlic in it will smell worse than something with tomatoes. Both curry and lasagne are equally delicious, but neither of them fit the bill if you’re looking for a hot new scent to wear. Curry’s the worst of the two though! :)

    Lyvvie:
    You’ve got the right idea. See, women understand this better than men do;)

    I'm kidding, Sam, I'm kidding!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home