SAFspace

Welcome to the thoughts, rants and passions of a young Muslim woman seeking soulful enlightenment in cyberspace.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Some Technical Stuff


It was just a little over a month ago that I started this blog. I’d like to make some technical changes, but as you can see, I’m using a pre-made template from Blogger and I’ve only made minor tweaks. I’m not at all tech savvy like so many of you seem to be.

I have a few questions regarding some improvements I’d like to make in the next little while. First, I'd like to add drop-down menus to the topical categories on the sidebar. I'm not sure how to do so. Right now there’s just too much text on the sidebar.


I'd also like to add a comment box that will go on the sidebar somewhere near the top of the blog, automatically listing the last 5-10 comments added, so that viewers will know when new comments are added to older posts. I asked around and was encouraged to visit this website, but unfortunately the coding does not do what I want it to do. And that makes me very mad! I’m kidding:) But yes, if you look at the sidebar, you'll see that it simply displays recent comments that are on the main page. I am looking for something that searches the whole blog. The comments that aren't on the main page are the ones in need of visibility.

Finally, I’m confused about the whole copyright issue. How much of an article can be posted? Can I use photos published on online newspaper articles or websites? I know many blogs do so, but I want to do what’s right. The problem is figuring out what that is. Is ignorance innocence? Let me know.

If there are any other changes you’d like to see or any suggestions you’d like to offer, please drop me a line or two. Thanks in advance!

2 Comments:

  • At 3/02/2005 09:24:00 a.m., Blogger Umm Zaid said…

    Salaam 'Alaikum

    Ignorance is not innocence. About two weeks ago on my blog, I posted a whole boatload of copyright stuff, including information for Canada. Go to www.modernmuslima.com/blog.htm and click on February's archives, I think it was in that month.

     
  • At 3/05/2005 11:20:00 p.m., Anonymous ck said…

    *sigh*

    Blogger. My advice is lose blogger, purchase an appropriate domain name (oddly enough both safspace.com and saffiyah.com are taken but you may want to consider a .ca domain name - more things available), get an inexpensive hosting account and install Word Press, a free blogging system. I'll gladly help in any way I can. Word Press has all the features you could ever want.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home