SAFspace

Welcome to the thoughts, rants and passions of a young Muslim woman seeking soulful enlightenment in cyberspace.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Fireworks on Victoria Day


The marvellous sparks shooting through the sky poignantly symbolize the emptiness, the fleetingness with which human beings associate joy and excitement. It is but for a moment, maybe two or three, that the colours rise and form distractingly beautiful patterns. And then the sky is blackened yet again, desolate smoke the lonesome sign of its past existence. Its artificiality is haunting; one spends exorbitant amounts to purchase a dozen, and then it is gone in a blink, frighteningly loud pops and booms punctuating its brief life. Dogs bark aggressively, struggling against their chains; the soil is littered with paper tubes and emptied packages, and amazed spectators cheer wildly, ignoring the daring fellow who must flee the firecracker's wrath upon igniting it. And then the lights and sounds dissipate. The little ones are already wailing, their parents hollering at them to get inside. It’s time for bed. Tomorrow is another dreary day.

4 Comments:

  • At 5/24/2005 06:09:00 AM, Anonymous Ahmed said…

    Salams
    I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Safiyyah (R.A), wife of the Prophet (pbuh). I have already quoted the source & website of the writing.
    Mashallah, you have a nice blog here and I would appreciate if you could put a link to my blog here.
    Jazakallah
    WS

     
  • At 5/24/2005 05:24:00 PM, Blogger Asmaa said…

    You're just like Shuaib...

    I have to use dictionary.com while reading your blog.

    oh well. :D

     
  • At 5/24/2005 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Safiyyah said…

    Asmaa: Is being compared to Shuaib a good thing? We definitely share a degree of cynicism. Though I add a dollop of idealism to the odd mix that is me.
    Don’t go away. I need people like you to keep this real. Can I see some more of your sharp humour? And will I regret asking for that trademark sarcasm too? ;-)
    Any clue as to why the UofT ppl are so quiet?

     
  • At 5/25/2005 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Asmaa said…

    Ahh, being compared to one's sibling is never a good thing. >:)

    Why are U of T nerds so quiet? I have no clue. I think they're either all in summer school or hibernating. OR BACK HOME TRYING TO GET MARRIED. he he he

     

Post a Comment

<< Home