SAFspace

Welcome to the thoughts, rants and passions of a young Muslim woman seeking soulful enlightenment in cyberspace.

Monday, May 09, 2005

How Old Do You Want To Be?


I’ve just returned from a painful game of hide-and-seek with my four-year old cousin. I was forced to contort myself in the most outrageous ways to fit behind oversized chairs and in dark, stuffy closets. And yet she found me within minutes. Most embarrassing was the fact that I simply could not find the girl. She was tucked in a corner beneath a stool of some sort and I bypassed her completely. I’m ashamed to admit I almost gave up. Only after she got tired of waiting around and starting rattling things and calling my name did I finally venture a glance in the right direction. Needless to say, I offered to hide the next few times. I like to think it’s because she knows the hiding spots in her home better than I do.

This irresistibly cute little girl turned four less than two weeks ago. When asked how old she is, she says, “almost five”. When probed further, her eyes brighten as she chants, “almost five, and soon I’ll be six, then seven, then eight, then nine, then ten.” My aunt on the other hand will soon be “over the hill”. Human beings are rarely satisfied with their age. How old do you want to be? And why?

9 Comments:

  • At 5/09/2005 04:24:00 PM, Blogger ephphatha said…

    My daughter is fun to play hide and go seek with. She doesn't hide very well, so I'll just go around looking under things going, "Where oh where could she be?" and she'll be giggling in her hiding place.

    I think between the ages of 24 and 26 are perfect. It was about that time I stopped wishing I would get older and started wishing I'd get younger. I was perfectly happy around that age. Well, I wasn't happy with my life at that age, but I was happy with my age.

     
  • At 5/10/2005 02:11:00 AM, Blogger The Rabbi's Kid said…

    I'm happy to be my age. I've experienced a lot, achieved a fair amount, gleaned a bit of wisdom, but I still have many more years ahead to continue growing, acting and changing the world.

    TRK

    (Let's see if comment sidebar recignizes this one?)

     
  • At 5/10/2005 02:47:00 AM, Blogger Chimichanga said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5/10/2005 02:57:00 AM, Blogger Chimichanga said…

    I wanna be 18 till I die!!! but..
    :( :( :(

     
  • At 5/11/2005 01:44:00 AM, Blogger Fej said…

    Sometimes I want to be 6, other times 12, I'll always miss being 18, but then again 21 was fun too. I don't want to be 29 again, and well it's all downhill from here, right?

     
  • At 5/11/2005 02:20:00 AM, Blogger Safiyyah said…

    Fej: I go through the same cycles. It's ironic that I'm impatient about my future while mournful of the passing of time.

     
  • At 5/11/2005 04:52:00 PM, Blogger cncz said…

    i wish i was 17 again...that was good times! subhan Allah.

    oh well. alhamdoulillah the essential is that i'm still alive now, right?

     
  • At 5/13/2005 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Misty Blossoms said…

    I'm 21...and always want to be stuck @ 21 :)

     
  • At 5/17/2005 11:47:00 PM, Anonymous Saffu said…

    I'm turning 16 in a few months (August to be exact!) and i cant wait!!!my sisters goin on 19 and she keeps mmoaning that shes old! Crazy world isnt it?! i dont wanna stay 15...lets see how i feel when i DO turn 16...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home